[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

Alan J Munro alan at munrobius.com
Tue Oct 11 15:51:52 CEST 2005

Dear all

I've been following this discussion with some worry. Simon, I really
respect your motivations, but I'm afraid  of and would fight any attempt
to censor this list. I've only been on it a short time but have been
generally pleased at the content/noise ratio- something I wish other lists
would match. I also feel that picking on one particular country in the
world starts begging some very big questions.

Richard has pointed out that we might as well include the US in this list.
I'd have to say, as an Amnesty International member, why stop there? The
UK is at the moment part of what I would argue as an illegal occupation of
Iraq, so we might include it? What about Syria and its treatment of those
who oppose the regime? Morrocco and their occupation of Western Sahara?
China, Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Colombia, Nepal? Russia
anyone (think of the bombed hell that is currently Chechnya). I could go
on for hours. One of the dubious benefits of being a member of AA is that
one sees the sordid underbelly of many countries, many of which are the
sort of places people like us might want to work or travel to. Where do we
stop? The news from Israel often angers and upsets me. However the
depressing thing is that there are so many other countries committing such
systmeatised and unsyustematised crimes abainst parts of their populations
that it seems odd to single one out. Where do we stop? All we can do is
hope that this forum offers a place for all to collaborate hopefully to
some public good, and this can only happen through unfettered information
exchage. Information wants to be free.

alan