[spectre] Art and science: why duality is good, why (new media) theory is poor

Anna Munster A.Munster at unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 15 00:35:36 CET 2006

Jose-Carlos, Paul Brown and Simon have raised a number of good points and
examples around the relation of science to its others and to the multiple
genealogies through which scientists and artists have or have not
collaborated.

Jose-carlos endorses duality - I'm not sure I agree here, although perhaps
what I understand you to mean is differentiation between disciplinary
fields for the sake of critique and active engagement? I think you've made
a very pertinant point as to the differences between the sciences'
engagement with science studies/sociology and their (dis)engagement with
art. My feeling about the science studies engagement and the impact that
has had on science comes from the actual concrete collaborative working
and engagements that have taken place - social scientists going into labs,
engaging with the day-to-day practice of science etc. But alos the fact
that a number of scientists (especially women) became discontent with the
daily practice of science and looked around for cultural theory that tried
to analyse this. Soem brilliant work has come out of this transversal move
by some (although admittedly few scientists) such as the physicist and
feminist science studies theorist karen Barad. Similarly Evelyn Fox
Keller.

I think then the question remains - what would scientists want from
artists? Paul brown speaks of mutual gain but this is clearly gain in
terms of solving scientific research problems or innovating the scientific
field...which scientists/sciences want the critical, interventionist
trajectories of media artists? I think Paul has made the point that some
postmodernist and corporate/established art is of no interest to
scientists. however, there's certainly more to art than postmodern vs
analystic tradition!!

The question might be - what are the epistemological issues raised by
media and new media art? Do these challenge or speak to similar issues and
questions in some areas of contemporary science? I think they can and do
but much of the science I am thinking of is also considered fringe by the
scientific world (ie embodied mind cognitivist approaches from varela,
Andy Clark etc that are very disputed by mainstraem cognitive
neuroscience)

Best
Anna

Dr. Anna Munster