[spectre] TODAY LIVE: Geert Lovink & Armin Medosch at De Ballie

pighed pighed at bore.com
Wed Jun 6 20:47:56 CEST 2007

i agree - its unfortunate to see [spectre] deflate a bit, losing the fun
o' ye seriously-minded conversations, lo these past years.

but it makes sense in a way.  it's been happening as "web2.0" gets
bigger.  as tools of 'communication' get bigger the individual voice
gets smaller.  wikipedia's authority is odd (i've quoted it often, and
with confidence, but what do i know about the damn author or damn source
of the damn article?), the voice of any publication, when a mass of
people are behind it, is tyrranical.  it occurs to me now that maybe
advertising and web2.0 (or 'social media' or whatever buzzwords we like
or detest) are the REAL art that we artists, academics, and critics
should be paying attention to.  i'm sure our individual projects are all
quite interesting, but what causes dialogue to disappear?  and in
technolo-circles why does it seem to be changing so rapidly when for
decades BBSs and chatboards did so well (and, arguably, still do).

why is spectre so enamoured with announcements?  is it because we have
little to give one another other than our work?  ..how american that
would be, or, more acurately, how a child of a culture of automated
manufacturing.

but perhaps the cause of the lack - the emerging technologies like
web2.0 and viral marketing - are the real artforms we need to attend to.

    geert - sorry to hear that you had to answer to the machine!

    shu - quite lively of you to notice!

mostly sincerely,

    - mark stephen meadows / pighed