[spectre] TODAY LIVE: Geert Lovink & Armin Medosch at De Ballie

Tania Goryucheva tangor2 at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 7 12:17:42 CEST 2007

Dear Shu Lea, pighed, and others,

I appreciate your responses and I feel that the project's point and
intention should get some clarification.
Initially the idea of Cool Media Hot Talk Show. on Art & Media
project  grew out of a concern with the discursive divides and
misconceptions which exist between the (new) media art scene, the
cultural establishment and the broader public. While addressing this
general issue, practice-wise, tactically, the main idea of the
project is to subvert the hierarchical principle behind rendering
mediated public discourse. (Though "on Art & Media" is just the theme
to start with, and we plan to go beyond it.) It is done by providing
people with an opportunity to question directly, without any
authoritarian mediation in-between, the views, ideas, strategies,
approaches of artists, curators, theorists, policy makers, critics
etc. regarding the relations between art, media technologies, and
their socio-political context. Everybody can propose topics,
speakers, questions and vote for the proposals of others in order to
determine the talk show event scenario by using a specially designed
online interface. Whether it can work? Technically it already works -
you can see how by trying the interactive online tools at the web
site and watching the archived video stream of the previous event:
http://www.coolmediahottalk.net/archive.jsp  In terms of social
process and discourse production, we are looking forward to
experimenting with it and studying the outcomes.

The project is also very much an exploration of the potentialities of
participatory media models, which can be applied as sometimes
probably substitutions for traditional ways of organising public
events and discussions, but more likely as added, extra possibilities
for people to engage into the public life and public discourse. The
most widely spread forms of participatory media nowadays operate at
the levels of exchange with the information (like Web 2.0 related
tools and services: blogs, vlogs, podcasting, etc), commenting (in
particular so much loved by mass media form of invited and then
carefully filtered feedback),  and, the one which I find the most
significant - collaboration around production of shared resources of
different sorts (e.g. Wikipedia, open source software, etc). What  I
am particularly interested in is whether a participatory media model
can be successfully developed and applied as more specifically
targeting tools to tackle the problem of the mediation in the course
of public discourse production, aiming at questioning the pragmatics,
conventionalities, behaviour patterns which are the driving forces
behind the dominant forms of public discourses. In this sense Cool
Media Hot Talk Show does not call for total openness, freedom and
altruism, but rather suggests an alternative scenario for direct
participation in public discourse in order to manifest and promote
own, individual or group, interests. It is important that the project
integrates a few different elements that aim at creating a situation,
within which such objectives can be put to work. First, the
combination of the "cool" internet environment, cool both in terms of
participatory aspect (McLuhan) and psychological distancing from the
other, and "hot" local spot - situation of the real event brought to
the public by the public at the theatre space of De Balie, a
respected organisation, one of the epicentres of public culturo-
political life in Amsterdam and the Netherlands. Second, blending
together serious debates content-wise with an entertaining (to
certain extent) media format of their facilitation, attempting to
introduce new dynamics into the relationships between the Speaker
(supposedly a public personality), the Public (here participants,
questioners) and the Mediator (here a semi-automated cross-media
system, partly based on self-organising principles: selection of
topics, speakers and questions, as well as decision making about the
final event scenario are based on direct voting and negotiations).

So far the idea has been developed empirically, as a sort of
laboratory test of the hypothesis that by adding particular features
to the system of mediation one can influence the qualities of public
discourse in a particular way, implying also an unpredictability
involved.
At the moment we are still working on improving and adjusting
facilitation tools, which allow different degrees of participation.
Further feedback will be highly appreciated.

All the best,

Tania Goryucheva, project curator