[spectre] Exhibition, I Avoid Places Where I’m Expected, February 17th - March 14th 2010.

galerija galzenica galerija.galzenica at globalnet.hr
Tue Feb 16 16:13:14 CET 2010

"I Avoid Places Where I’m Expected"

February 17th - March 14th in Galzenica Gallery (Velika Gorica/Zagreb,
Croatia) at 7 p.m.

Ana Belosevic, Sebastijan Dracic, Hana Miletic, Danica Mrakovic Jurcic
and Zlatan Vehabovic

Artists’ talk will be held at the gallery on the day of the exhibition,
February 17, beginning at 4.30 pm. The talk will be recorded and
available in audio format at http://www.posterous.com.

---

The exhibition “I Avoid Places Where I’m Expected” features young
artists whose work refers to the complex and unstable processes of
subjectivation. Whether this process is situated in the period of
adolescence and maturity, like in Hana Miletic’s work; or we recognize
it in the feeling of loneliness, understood as a certain degree of
social isolation, which is present in the works of Ana Belosevic and
Sebeastijan Dracic; or it is associated with love and friendship, as
seen in the works of Zlatan Vehabovic and Danica Mracevic Jurisic – we
are likely to understand it as an aspect of life which has little to do
with the society that surrounds us. Therefore, as one of the results of
subjectivation, we are often inclined to perceive our identity as
something belonging only to us and something that is inseparable,
something that will, in the constant interaction with others, help us
negotiate more easily with others, fight for a meaning, acquire prestige
and keep surviving despite everything. These artists, however, suggest
that these intimate aspects of our lives are no longer representable
through traditional patters of (civil) everyday life: armchairs,
libraries, flower pots or pets; in other words, through private oases of
peace and stability. In their case, the world is constantly lurking
behind every bend, not giving the protagonists the freedom to isolate or
relax.

---

Ana Belošević graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Zagreb in 2006.
She has participated at a dozen solo and group exhibitions. She also
works as an illustrator for the publisher Algoritam based in Zagreb.
anabel at net.hr

Sebastijan Dračić graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Zagreb in
2006. He is currently a post-graduate student of painting at the same
academy. http://www.sebastijandracic.com/

Hana Miletić was born in Zagreb. She received a degree in Art History in
Brussels and also graduated at the Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp,
Belgium. Currently she works for a research project Mirage at the same
academy. http://www.hanamiletic.com

Danica Mračević Jurišić is a post-graduate student at the Academy of
Fine Arts and Design in Ljubljana (Department for Visual Communication
Design). In the artistic practice she uses video, photography,
performance and dance. Her work has been exhibited in Croatia, Italy,
Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary and the Czech Republic.
danmrak at net.hr

Zlatan Vehabović graduated painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in
Zagreb in 2006. He is currently at a post-graduate study of painting at
the same academy. He has won several awards for his work and his
paintings are part of private collections in Croatia and abroad.
http://www.weakersoldier.blogspot.com

Curators: Sanja Horvatincic, Nina Pisk, Klaudio Stefancic

--
Pučko otvoreno učilište Velika Gorica
GALERIJA GALŽENICA