[spectre] ElectroSmog Festival, March 18 - 20,
2010: Preliminary Program now available on-line
epk at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 23 16:44:47 CET 2010
International Festival for Sustainable Immobility
PRELIMINARY PROGRAM AVAILABLE ON-LINE
Amsterdam / New York / Madrid / Helsinki / Riga / London / Banff / New Zealand / Munich / & on-lIne.
March 18 – 20, 2010
About the festival:
The ElectroSmog festival is a critique of the worldwide explosion of mobility, and an exploration of the new forms of connectedness with others offered to us by network and communication technologies.
Our question is if these new forms of connectedness can help us to develop a viable new lifestyle less determined by speed and constant mobility, which is both ecologically and socially more sustainable.
The preliminary festival program is now available at the ElectroSmog website:
Bringing together a broad coalition:
The ElectroSmog festival brings together a broad coalition of designers, environmentalists, urban and spatial planners, technologists, artists, theorists, and engaged and concerned citizens, to explore and ‘design’ sustainable immobility.
ElectroSmog is a truly international festival, with everything you might expect: international debates and discussions, performances, art projects, exhibits, site specific projects, screenings, a design competition, and more.
ElectroSmog stakes its claim for a radical break with the current systems of hyper-mobility not simply by discussing the issue, but by actually implementing it.
A few basic ground rules apply for all the festival events listed there:
• No presenter will travel beyond their local or regional boundaries to participate in this event.
• All festival events will always take place in at least two locations connected in real-time.
• A crucial dimension of the festival will be its on-line presence, where audiences from basically anywhere with an internet connection can follow events on-line, join in discussions and debates, visit virtual theatres in metaverses such as second life, and contribute to the program.
Going beyond the broadband enclaves:
ElectroSmog acknowledges from the start that bandwidth is not equally distributed across and within societies. Therefore remote connection to lower bandwidth spaces, do-it-yourself telematics, and information technologies for the majority world will be central concerns the festival will address.
Thematic discussions, presentations and connected debates
The ElectroSmog festival-program is organised around a series of interlocking thematic programs, connected discussions and debates all transmitted live over the internet.
Themes covered by these events include:
• Global views on the crisis of mobility
• Witnessed Presence
• Hyper-mobility and the urban condition
• City & regional branding debate
• e-mobility versus immobility
• Designing for (im-)mobility
• Public media art projects and sustainability
• Energy and information
• ElectroSmog is Good for You!
• Food and global mobility
• Deep local and remote technologies
Around the main program a host of satellite events is organised locally and translocally.
• Art projects and local interventions, including original works by Bureau des Etudes, Karen Lancel & Hermen Maat, John Cohns, Sean Kerr, Kevin McCourt & Bartolo Luque, and others.
• Special events, screenings, book launches, and more.
• A program of connected and localised workshops
• On-line projects and environments designed specifically for the festival.
March 18 - 20, 2010
More information about the SPECTRE