[spectre] Re: New Media Art Organisations in Netherlands lose funding

Mladen Alexiev malexiev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:22:01 CEST 2011

These tendencies slowly spread around Europe and I absolutely agree that it
is in a way a serious test how the art & culture-makers and the audiences
will respond.

The smallest the reaction, the easiest the intended neo-liberal changes in
funding arts and culture.

For sure the first level of reaction is the national one, inside the
country. But at the same time - the situation starts to show clearly that
the joined actions of all the institutions from all the different European
(and not only) countries will be needed. I think that the solidarity with
the affected sectors (and some pressure as result of this solidarity) is
absolutely necessary on international level. Otherwise, slowly slowly there
won"t be escape for such a way of thinking (and funding) about arts and
culture...

I can understand the pragmatic reactions but even the heritage argument is
not the central one for the defence of so many important institutions and
processes. There is a need of open talks and pressure from all around the
place.

Best,

Mladen