[spectre] rePLACE BEIRUT call for participation

何穎雅 elaine wing-ah ho ho at iwishicoulddescribeittoyoubetter.net
Tue Mar 22 03:34:18 CET 2011

www.re-place.info

The rituals of everyday life trace regular paths along streets and
through buildings, organising the solids and voids of the built
environment into narratives and patterns of association. Complicated by
memory and social rituals, our experience of the city is of a dynamic
place, a stage for public performances and private tragedies, of
significant moments and the incredibly mundane. The habits, rituals, and
actions of its population, the lived experiences within the city define
it as something that is always current, always in constant, random movement.

rePLACE BEIRUT begins by a public invitation to reconsider the city as
an active process of documenting time and place inseparable from our
everyday, lived experience. Your participation is requested as a
singular contribution towards an alternative, collective understanding
of how the city both literally and metaphorically vibrates, or where
'the beaten track' runs rich with/counter to personal knowledge, memory
and cultural myth.

Please join us in retreading Beirut with the rePLACE project. Map out a
frequent route from your day-to-day life, record the regular patterns
and particular moments associated with your journey. Simply follow the
instructions <http://beirut.re-place.info> to upload your route as well
as text, images, video and/or sound documenting observations and
discoveries made along the way.

Through the various stages of the project, rePLACE seeks to provide a
way to understand the city, not only through its built spaces, but in
the ways its residents are interacting with it in their daily lives —
the routes we follow and the moments where these routes cross, overlap
or run tangent to each other. This is foremost a reconsideration of
history and image-making outside of our traditional understandings of
these terms, where forms of heritage preservation can go beyond passive
historicisation and generate living processes to actively celebrate the
city-in-flux.

Participate now by submitting your own route online at
http://beirut.re-place.info.
*

**WORKSHOP // **BEIRUT, **APRIL 2011*

The online collection of routes will be the jumping off point to
(re)experience the city via the stories and routes of the people living
here, creating a series of visual and historical investigations into the
placeness of the city's inhabitants. Between April 1-10, workshop
participants will follow the submitted routes, documenting and recording
with video, photography and sound their observations as led through the
words of our guides, and selected points from certain routes will be
chosen as 'landmarks' for further research.

The workshop will take place at 98 weeks research/project space
<http://98weeks.blogspot.com> and will be accompanied by a public
program including discussions and screenings. Please check the website
soon for more information or e-mail us for more information. If you are
interested to participate in the workshop, please sign up with your
name, occupation and a brief statement of interest at:
/mail at re-place.info/. Participation is free but limited to 15 persons.
*
*
rePLACE is a project initiated in 2007 by PROGRAM
<http://www.programonline.de> and Transit Lounge
<http://www.transitlounge.org/>. rePLACE BERLIN and rePLACE BEIRUT are
supported in 2011 by the Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for
the Dialogue between Cultures <http://www.euromedalex.org>, the Arab
Image Foundation <http://www.fai.org.lb>, PROGRAM
<http://www.programonline.de> and Prince Claus Fund
<http://www.princeclausfund.org/><http://www.princeclausfund.org/>for