[spectre] juxtaposing

Josephine Bosma jesis at xs4all.nl
Sun May 22 11:59:54 CEST 2011

hello all,

I realized this week that I had completely forgotten to respond to
Esther Polak's request for examples of alternative symposium models.
Yesterday would have been the best time to finally sit down and talk
about it, but unfortunately I was very busy. One of the things I had
to do was score a bucket full of Italian ice cream to celebrate the
15th anniversary of 'net.art per se'. This small but legendary
gathering on May 21st 1996 is one of the examples I was talking
about, but there are more.

As I wrote earlier, it surprised me to find such well informed people
come up with such a limited description of symposia and conferences.
In hindsight I guess what they were addressing is probably a very
particular kind of event, and very particular presenters: big events
with (generally) lots of financial backing, inviting very specific
speakers that are on the road nearly 24/7, who are delivering the
same speeches everywhere. I do believe that in the larger scheme of
things such events and speakers are a minority. Maybe, and please
don't take this the wrong way, the writers of the Juxtaposium
proposal have 'arrived' at a certain level of events, the most
institutional kind, and do not see the many smaller and alternative
events that are no less important?

Anyway, before I dart off on another lengthy criticism of the
juxtaposium idea, let me try to give a few different examples of
fruitful events that I have witnessed myself. In most of these the
boundaries between audience and speakers was non existent. This is at
the top of my hat, and I know that alternative conference models have
been around since at least the sixties. I  read in Dark Fiber by
Geert Lovink that for example the founders of de Waag, Carolien
Nevejan and Marleen Sticker, were also adamant to avoid the
traditional, hierarchical conference model in events in the early
nineties. A quote (page 246): "Using audio-visual media, constantly
changing position of tables and chairs and a sharp, witty rhetoric of
well instructed chair (wo)men, attempt were made to cut through the
routine pitches of experts, politicans, and writers. Remotre
contributions via telephone, video conferencing, web cams and chat
rooms were brought into the local debate."

I am sure the examples I mention (above and below) in my mail are not
the only ones, and that these alternative conference practices have
not disappeared and are still alive today. I welcome anybody chiming
in and giving some, but I know that is rare on mailing lists these
days... So here are my examples:

1: The First Cyberfeminist International, at documenta X in 1997. In
the summer of '97 the Orangerie in Kassel was occupied by ten
different groups for ten days at the time. It was called Workspace,
and each group had a very alternative presentation model, which was
partly due to the setting: it was an open workspace with people
coming and going. There was not a symposium audience, but an
exhibition audience, which behaves differently. The mailinglist
Faces, for women working in new media culture, was one of them. They
organized a very loose and sympathetic event, part of which were talk
sessions, in which everybody would gather in a circle and discuss
issues. There was no hierarchy. there was only a shared interest in
(cyber)feminist issues. There was not even a very tight schedule, if
there was one at all. My memory fails me on this point. This
conference model reminded very much of that of Beauty and the East,
the first nettime conf, in spring 1997, but there was more openness
for experimentation.

2: There are the three net.art events I have described in my book
Nettitudes: net.art per se (in Trieste, Italy, organized by Vuk
Cosic), Digital Chaos (in Bath, UK) and 'the secret net.art conf',
and event in the 'Anti-with-E series (in London, both organized by
heath bunting). In all these meetings the emphasis was on
participation and accessibility (of 'experts', or a leveling of
roles), and on escaping the traditional conference model. True,
net.art per se was so small one could say it was an 'insiders only'
event, but the whole idea of these kind of events is a very basic
destruction of hierarchy and the creation of true social interaction.
This happens in small and bigger meetings.

3: The Cool Media Hot Talk Show is another very interesting model.
This was/is an initiative of Tania Goryucheva, and was organized and
(literally) programmed by Eric Kluitenberg and Michiel van der Haagen
of De Balie in Amsterdam. It was an event that could be entirely
planned through an online audience. Special software was created
through which anybody could compile an event, choose the speakers,
have it voted for, create questions, etc. The event itself happened
on and offline. The online audience could vote for specific audience
questions that came up during the event itself.

What is missing in all these models is of course the Big, Awesome
Expert. What I am missing form the juxtaposium proposal is any view
on the role (and value?) of this expert and of the audience. It just
wants to get away from boring speakers talking about themselves or
the same things over and over. In a living social environment people
actually do not get away with such behavior. Having someone discuss
the work of another person is no alternative in my point of view: I
do it almost every time I give a lecture, and so does almost every
critic and theorist. What is interesting however is getting real
conversations going between real people.

best,

*