[spectre] juxtaposing

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Sun May 22 14:45:37 CEST 2011

HI J. dear!

hehe, the Digital Chaos CyberConference, ancient history! --
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/7279 -- more photos will someday appear
from my archives!

> 3: The Cool Media Hot Talk Show is another very interesting model. This was/is
> an initiative of Tania Goryucheva, and was organized and (literally) programmed
> by Eric Kluitenberg and Michiel van der Haagen of De Balie in Amsterdam. It was
> an event that could be entirely planned through an online audience. Special
> software was created through which anybody could compile an event, choose the
> speakers, have it voted for, create questions, etc. The event itself happened on
> and offline. The online audience could vote for specific audience questions that
> came up during the event itself.

Along with the discussion of the ISEA over on nettime, and having been at the
ADA symposium in NZ last December where Eric skyped in talking about online
symposia et al, it strikes me that one of the BIGGEST problems that I have
witnessed with network-based symposia and alternative events is the incredible
LACK of solid an focused participants!  Having facilitated and participated in
numerous online and f2f events over the years, even the best funded (TM, V2, etc
etc) might have a maximum of, say, 30 online participants with maybe 5 who were
actually engaged in the process...

IMHO, there needs to be a discussion about how to be a good remote
participant...  How to build the focus, concentration, attention to project
through sensually attenuated network protocols and reach that distant Other in
order for something to actually happen....

etc...

jh

John Hopkins, Researcher
Centre for Creative Arts
La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria 3086
http://neoscenes.net/
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/
chazhop at gmail.com; skype: chazhopkins
AU Mobile - +61 (0)40 696 4610