[spectre] "All Hail Damien Hirst!" Augmented Reality Intervention @ Tate Modern.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Jun 25 16:22:20 CEST 2012

Sorry for any cross posting...

Marc garrett interviews Tamiko Thiel about "All Hail Damien Hirst!" An
Augmented Reality Intervention @ Tate Modern.

Interest in Damien Hirst and his commercialized, celebrity status is
well known. So when we heard that Tamiko Thiel was making the artwork
"All Hail Damien Hirst!", we were immediately curious. Hirst is an
extremely rich individual with powerful allies within wealthy,
traditional art establishment circles. This includes Charles Saatchi,
and commercially dedicated art mags and art institutions whom have all
successfully helped in marketing his particular brand as part of their
own economic strategy. With this in mind and acknowledging the potential
risk in satirizing a well known art celebrity we thought it was a good
idea to interview Thiel about her ideas and experience on the project?

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/interviews/all-hail-damien-hirst-augmented-reality-intervention-tate-modern

Tamiko Thiel is a media artist developing the dramatic and poetic
capabilities of various forms of virtual and augmented reality as media
for exploring social and cultural issues.

A founding member of the cyberartist group Manifest.AR, she participated
in the pathbreaking augmented reality exhibit “We AR in MoMA,” an
uninvited guerilla takeover of MoMA New York. Videos of Thiel’s “Art
Critic Face Matrix” were featured in articles in the New York Times and
on WNYC (National Public Radio). In 2011 she led the Manifest.AR Venice
Biennial AR Intervention, placing her work series "Shades of Absence,"
on censorship in the visual arts, in the Venice Giardini and in the
German National Pavilion (which won the Golden Lion Award for best
national pavilion). This led to an invitation to participate in the
ISEA2011 exhibition UNCONTAINABLE, an official parallel program of the
Istanbul Biennial, where she placed her artwork series "Captured Images"
into the main biennial exhibition.

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield