[spectre] Kickstarter for Local Autonomy Networks - Please help spread the word!

micha cárdenas mmcarden at usc.edu
Tue May 8 01:55:52 CEST 2012

*Please donate and help me spread the word!!! We have 15 days to raise $5000
*

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/163496660/local-autonomy-networks-find-each-other

Local Autonomy Networks (Autonets) is a line of mesh networked electronic
clothing with the goal of building autonomous local networks that don’t
rely on corporate infrastructure to function, inspired by community based,
anti-racist, prison abolitionist responses to gendered violence. The
project is focused on creating networks of communication to increase
community autonomy and reduce violence against women, LGBTQI people, people
of color and other groups who continue to survive violence on a daily
basis. The Autonets garments, when activated, will alert everyone in range
of the the local mesh network and who is wearing another autonet garment
that someone needs help and will indicate that person’s direction and
distance.

Local Autonomy Networks: Find Each Other is a collaboration between Micha
Cárdenas, PhD student in Media Arts and Practice at the University of
Southern California, Allison Wyper, Master of Fine Arts in Dance
from Department of World Arts and Cultures/Dance, UCLA, Natalie Rosen and
Claire Viele. *We need funding to support the production of 12 Autonets
garments and the presentation of performances and workshops* at the Allied
Media Conference in Detroit, MI, the International Symposium of Electronic
Art in Albuquerque, NM, the HTMlles festival of feminist new media art in
Montreal, QC and the American Studies Association annual meeting in San
Juan, Puerto Rico. The project has been invited to all of these venues, but
none of them are able to provide funding for travel of materials to produce
the electronics for future performances. The video above uses two early
prototypes, but the actual Autonets garments are still in development. The
devices will be made open source under an Open Hardware license and the
designs will be made publicly available. We hope to be able to give working
devices to people who need them through workshops once we feel they are
working well enough to be distributed.

--
micha cárdenas
PhD Student, Media Arts and Practice, University of Southern California

New Directions Scholar, USC Center for Feminist Research

MFA, Visual Arts, University of California, San Diego

Author, The Transreal: Political Aesthetics of Crossing Realities,
http://amzn.to/x8iJcY

blog: http://transreal.org