[spectre] V2_presents: Vital Beauty - Symposium, May 16, de Balie, Amsterdam

V2_ joris at v2.nl
Tue May 8 16:11:56 CEST 2012

*
Vital Beauty - Symposium and Publication*
*Date: May 16, 2012 | 09:00--17:15
Location: de Balie, Amsterdam

*

You are cordially invited for the symposium /Vital Beauty/, organized by
V2_ as part of the Dutch Electronic Art Festival 2012.

The symposium focuses on the question of how the age-old notion of
beauty can regain an importance appropriate to the 21st century. Our
need for beauty has not diminished,  as hard as modernism tried to erase
it from art and life and supplant it with the sublime. It was a sublime
that increasingly associated itself with negation and deconstruction. In
contrast,  vital beauty,  as defined by John Ruskin more than 150 years
ago,  is a beauty of sympathies and affinities with life forms. Yet
vital beauty must be reinvented,  since life forms today can be
technological as well as natural. The concept of vital beauty raises the
question of how we should design our environments,  our objects and our
lives,  and of how we might one day invent a politics of beauty.

"Beauty is a wider, and more fundamental, notion than Truth"
Alfred N. Whitehead

*Program:*
09:45--10:30 Lars Spuybroek: Introduction and moderation
10:30--11:30 Thierry Bardini: Hints of a Junk Aesthetic
11:30--12:30 Wendy Steiner: Beauty as Interaction
13:30--14:30 Arjen Mulder: The Beauty of Agency Art
14:30--15:30 Tim Ingold: Lines and the Weather
15:30--16:30 Philip Beesley: Protocell Field

Tickets available at
http://www.deaf.nl/program/modules/symposium-vital-beauty

The publication /Vital Beauty: Reclaiming Aesthetics in the Tangle of
Technology and Nature/ <http://www.v2.nl/publishing/vital-beauty/>  will
be released during the symposium. With essays and interviews by Thierry
Bardini, Caroline van Eck, Gustav Fechner, Mark Frost, George Gessert,
Tim Ingold, Arjen Mulder, John Ruskin, Wendy Steiner and Daniel N. Stern.

www.v2.nl | www.deaf.nl | www.debalie.nl