[spectre] Hacking Habitat

Geert Lovink geert at desk.nl
Mon May 9 14:23:29 CEST 2016

From: info at hackinghabitat.com <mailto:info at hackinghabitat.com>

Video, in English, about the Hacking Habitat art exhibition in a former jail in Utrecht (NL): https://vimeo.com/162115043/663ba74f7a <https://vimeo.com/162115043/663ba74f7a>

Discover in HACKING HABITAT how systems are holding us hostage. High-tech systems are taking increasing control of our lives. Security cameras monitor our moves, Google steers what we do online with incomprehensible algorithms and we are having a collective love affair with our smart phones. The good news is: we’re taking control back into our own hands. The international art exhibition HACKING HABITAT will open on February 26th in a former prison, the perfect place to experience what control feels like. Socially engaged and critical, but also humorous and optimistic. More than eighty internationally acclaimed artists show us the power of high-tech networks as well as how we can fight back. How do we win our world back from institutions and systems? How do we find the right balance between technology and humanity?
In short: how do we hack our habitat?

With Forensic Architecture (UK), Joseph Beuys (DE), Melanie Bonajo (NL), James Bridle (UK), Felix Burger (DE), Centre for Political Beauty (DE), Johan Grimonprez (BE), Susan Hiller (USA), Samson Kambalu (MW), William Kentridge (SA), Laura Kurgan (USA), Cristina Lucas (ESP), Metahaven (NL), Pedro Reyes (MX), Fernando Sanchez Castillo (ESP), Stanza (UK), Timo Arnall (NO), Susan Hiller (USA) and many others.

Hacking Habitat
Wolvenplein 36
3572 CD Utrecht
The Netherlands