[spectre] Eleonore summer residency- application deadline extended

Shu Lea Cheang shulea at earthlink.net
Wed May 11 17:42:01 CEST 2016

EXTENDED deadline - May 22, 2016

OPEN CALL for ELEONORE summer residency 2016

*/RADIO ACTIVE – SINK and SWIM with Eleonore/*

August 1 – September 11, 2016

Linz, Austria

In the winter of 2008-2009, the 100 year old Station Messschiff Eleonore
was bought, adapted and docked by the Donautic team at the Danube harbor
in Linz. Since 2009, Eleonore, once a survey vessel, has been powered by
solar energy, equipped with *radio components and modified to host
artists in residency. As part of Stadtwerkstatt’s cultural initiatives
that focus on free/open culture and information technology, Eleonore
declares itself an autonomous art ship gathering local and international
residents for meetings, debates, research and lab works.

This summer, “/RADIO ACTIVE – SINK and SWIM with Eleonore”, /Eleonore’s
residency 2016 opens its beds and decks to receive free flowing,
temporal residents for special trans/MISSION daze/days in the Danube
waterways. We call for transmit-ers, wave-surfers, code-breakers,
swimmers, boat people, (un)wired creatures to brave the troubled waters,
take on water as medium for transmission and expand on Eleonore’s
**radio beacon project that started in 2011.

As an influential figure in underground radio art, Mini-FM, microradio,
***Tetsuo Kogawa of Polimorphous Space has accepted our invitation as
Eleonore’s honorable resident for this summer. We launch this open call
with his recent statement-

“No more broad-casting; no more art-radio.

The point is transmission itself: radioart is radiation art.”

Recalling the sputnik satellite’s outer space broadcast of radio pulses
in the fifties, we invite artists of the world to be part of an
autonomous radionetwork - transmit a signal once a day at the frequency
of 7.067 MHz, an SSTV signal with senseless content.

The spectrum is set free. Ride the waves and dive into the Danube.

****Check in with us for a drop by and short stay residency on the Eleonore.

______________________________

Eleonore artist in residency is a Stadtwerkstatt’s project.

http://donautics.stwst.at/

http://stwst.at/

Open call application -email to Shu Lea Cheang<shulea at earthlink.net>.

-a brief bio, -web link(s), -a brief project/task of your practice,-your
desired dates for stay.

Tags: micro, macro, shortwaves, longwaves, VLF, VHF, currents, wavelength.

_________________________________

_References:_

*Eleonore's current existing radio equipments

1 shortwave transceiver yaesu ft847

1 shortwave transceiver icom R75

1 Automatic Antenna tuner

1 Transceiver FT7100

2 horizontal dipol antenna

1 Hexbeam antenna

1 embeded system for remote control

** Eleonore radio beacon project, DER BAKENSENDER, was started in 2011
with Franz Xaver, DoNAUtik Stadtwerksatt, Nina Wernhard, Armin Medosch.

http://donautics.stwst.at/project/abt14-ein-funkbaken

*** Tetsuo Kogawa - http://anarchy.translocal.jp

A Radioart Manifesto -
http://anarchy.translocal.jp/radioart/20080710AcousticSpaceIssue_7.html

****This year Eleonore experiments with the concept of ‘collective’
residency. We will pair/coordinate projects/people together to come on
board Eleonore. There is a small amount of funding available to assist
radio art practices during the residency.

__

__