[spectre] Trust Me, I'm An Artist, Update

Annick2 anikburo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 21:11:20 CEST 2016

Dear Spectrite,

Before the final events that will take place in 2017, the
"Trust Me, I'm an Artist" team is happy to provide you with
some food for thoughts, namely 2 new articles and 3 podcasts.

The articles are about "Heirloom" created by artist Gina
Czarnecki and scientist John Hunt.
Heirloom is a living portrait of the artist's daughters
consisting of a glass cast of their faces onto which their
skin cells are growing within a bioreactor. A video document
of the whole process and 3D scanning-printing sculptures
complete the work.

The first one, "HEIRLOOM; Living portraits of and for the
artists daughters created out of their own cultured cells",
is by the authors of the artwork and the second one,
"Displaying the Researched Body: Growing Cell Portraits in a
Medical Museum" by the curators that exhibited it at the
Medical Museion in Copenhagen, Louise Whiteley, Karin
Tybjerg, Bente Vinge Pedersen.
(http://olats.org/trustme/articles.php)

You can also listen to the artist, the scientist and
curators discussing the work with Annick Bureaud in the
podcast series on the Audiolats channel on the Creative
Disturbance platform.
http://olats.org/trustme/podcasts.php

We have another podcast for you, with Howard Boland
discussing his project Cellular Propeller.
Cellular Propeller, not achieved at the time of the
recording, consists of propelling an artificial object,
namely a small wheel, with human sperm cells in a synthetic
biology artwork. Howard Boland discusses the ethical and
aesthetical issues related to the creation of this work as
well as his creative process.

Trust Me, I'm an Artist is an EU Creative Europe funded
project that is exploring ethical issues in art that engage
with biotechnology and medicine.

Enjoy reading and listening !
Best
Annick