[spectre] New podcast with Boris Charmatz, with commissioned music to Enrico Malatesta

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:22:12 CET 2019

In this podcast, Boris Charmatz reflects on how to address power structures
within the artistic field.
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/boris-charmatz-/capsula> He also talks
about polisemy, collectivity, communities and anti-communities, radical
pedagogy, dissent, the Musée de la danse, the complex and inexhaustible
relationship between dance and history, working inside gestures, and the
beauty of older people skateboarding.* Music commissioned to Enrico
Malatesta.*

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/boris-charmatz-/capsula

Boris Charmatz  <https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/boris-charmatz-/capsula>is
a dance interpreter, choreographer, thinker, writer, teacher and curator.
In his practice, changing roles seems to be one of many strategies for
constantly expanding the understanding of what dance might be. His own
artistic work varies greatly in form as part of his commitment to exploring
the endless possibilities and social implications of arranging bodies in
space.

One of Charmartz’s tools for questioning our understanding of dance is his
“Musée de la danse”, a museum that exists only as a permanent question with
temporary answers. In it, Charles Chaplin, Esther Ferrer, Viennese
Actionism, Michael Jackson, and Mike Kelley are all considered relevant to
the history of dance. As Charmatz says, “all these artists change our idea
of what a body is, of what art with a body is, of what dance could be”.

Redefining dance by taking cultural relevance as a guide implies focusing
on how movement and structures inform our society, instead of merely
considering a restricted set of genres. At the same time, creating tension
between dance and museum conventions invites us to rethink many notions
regarding temporality, materiality, economy and cultural value.

*This podcast is part of Re-Imagine Europe, co-funded by the Creative
Europe programme of the European Union.*

Music commissioned to Enrico Malatesta. Interview by Quim Pujol. Produced
by André Chêdas.

*Timeline*
*07:54 *The work inside the gesture
*13:37* Ping-pong and texts: dance as a blurry practice
*23:32* “Flip book”
*36:54* Collectivity and signature in dance
*46:29* Changing postures
*01:03:11* A community of disconnected people
*01:16:18 *Aging movements
*01:25:32 *Notation, photography and video: the preservation of dance
*01:34:45* Musée de la Danse

For this project, we commissioned the music to the Italian musician Enrico
Malatesta, who immersed himself in Boris Charmatz discourse and departed
from the idea of "working inside the gesture", with his beautiful, fragile
and yet stubborn snare drum improvisations.

These are some of the ideas, in the words of Enrico, of how he approached
his music:

Starting from the idea of use the snare drum and document how an object
moves following simple impulses and how the sounds that it creates affects
and disappears on another surface. I found an interesting reaction between
a snare drum and a stone and I've decided to develop this with different
qualities/densities. I like the fact that there is in this movement a kind
of "paroxysmal rhythmicity" and that it seems somehow artificial and a bit
mysterious.

*E/N/J/O/Y*