[spectre] CFP: BTS 2019 - Graphic Intelligences & Algorithmic Fictions (NEW DATES)
gabriel.menotti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 12:19:43 CET 2019
Apologies for cross-posting! We had to postpone the next Besides the Screen
conference for a bit, so we decided to reopen the call for projects. The
new deadline is 08 May.
* * *
*Besides the Screen 2019: Graphic Intelligences & Algorithmic Fictions*
A conference about all things GPU
Vitória and São Paulo, Brazil, 09-13 September 2019
Call for papers, artworks and other contributions
Submission deadline: *08 May 2019*
The ninth edition of the Besides the Screen conference takes the economic
and cultural centrality of digital video processing as the point of
departure to explore the reconfiguration of audiovisual systems and the
emergence of new media practices and politics. We invite abstracts for
papers, workshops, single/multi-channel artworks, audiovisual performances,
installations pieces, and/or panels that explore all things GPU, covering
topics such as:
- Procedural cinema, virtual/augmented/mixed reality, and videogames;
- Audiovisual media's role in processes of reasoning and cognition;
- Logic and applications of computer vision;
- Special effects, shaders, and new affective assemblages;
- Executable, performative, operational, and real-time images;
- Desktop documentaries, let’s play videos, and other performative
appropriations of GUI;
- Probabilistic spaces, frame prediction, and the temporalities of
- Deep dreaming, deepfakes, and other generative forms based on neural
- Political bias of artificial intelligence and machine learning;
- Cryptocurrency mining and / as infrastructural detours of GPUs.
Submissions of individual papers, panels and lectures should include an
abstract of about 250 words and a short biographical note (150 words).
Artwork, demo and installation proposals should include a short
description/ synopsis (250 words), links to available documentation (videos
/ pictures / drafts), a complete list of technical requirements, and short
biographical note (150 words).
Proposals must be submitted by *08 May 2019 *to the address
*besidesthescreen at gmail.com
<besidesthescreen at gmail.com> *with the subject heading *2019 CONFERENCE
We strongly encourage submissions from early career researchers and
research-practitioners. Participants will not be charged a registration fee.
* * *
Besides the Screen is an international research network on the subject of
experimental audiovisual media. It aims to reconfigure the field of screen
studies by refocusing it on the seemingly secondary objects, processes, and
practices that exist within cinema. Besides the Screen also means to
promote an open and horizontal academic environment, favouring
practice-based approaches to research and artist collaborations.
Information about the previous conferences can be found at
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SPECTRE