[spectre] RADICAL IMMERSIONS open call

Klio Krajewska klio at watermans.org.uk
Thu Mar 28 12:36:48 CET 2019

Hi,
We are now inviting submissions of works for Radical Immersions,
The deadline is in a month so still some time to submit!
Best regards,
Klio Krajewska

*We are inviting submissions of artworks that engage with the theme of
RADICAL IMMERSIONS: Navigating between virtual/physical environments and
information bubbles.*

The group exhibition RADICAL IMMERSIONS will engage critically with ideas,
beliefs and practices of immersion in relation to digital culture and new
media. The exhibition will take place at Watermans from 6-20 September
2019. It will run in parallel with this year’s Digital Research in the
Humanities & Arts (DRHA) conference, which will address the same theme and
take place from 8-10 September.

Over the past years, immersive technologies have been hyped as consumer
gadgets, entertainment media and the future of exhibition practices. The
free distribution of VR headsets with smartphones and the increasing
interest of museums, festivals and other cultural organisers towards
‘immersive digital content’ have quickly turned VR and AR devices and
applications into widely recognized cultural artefacts. However, just like
many earlier ‘new media’ before them, the hyperbolic promises attached to
these technologies’ supposed capacity to deliver immediacy and trigger a
paradigm shift in media culture have thus far hardly become reality.
Meanwhile, social media platforms enable the formation of communities where
members immerse themselves in networks of alternate facts and realities
where conspiracy theories thrive in what at times appear to be alternate
rationalities.

*The deadline for submissions is Tuesday 30 April 2019*

*Submission*

Please send your proposals via email to nma at watermans.org.uk with subject
line ‘Radical Immersions Open Call’.

Proposals should include the following:

– Artist’s name

– Artwork title, description, dimensions, medium

– Artist’s CV and short BIO

– A max. of 5 images of the artwork (and/or max. 1 video file)

*Selection*

Works for the exhibition will be selected by a curatorial panel led by Klio
Krajewska, Head of New Media Arts Development at Watermans. Successful
applicants will be notified by email by the end of June 2019. Due to the
large number of applications we may not be able to provide feedback to
unsuccessful applicants.

*Transport and installation of work*

Watermans/DRHA will have a technical team to install the work and will be
able to provide standard presentation equipment (e.g. video projectors,
monitors) We also have a modest budget to cover the transport of artwork if
necessary. Unfortunately, we will not be able to cover travel and
accommodation expenses for artists. Proposed artworks should be no larger
than 2m x 2m x 2m.

*About Watermans*

Watermans is the major arts centre in West London, housing an independent
cinema, a 240-seat theatre, creative spaces for the community, and an
internationally renowned contemporary art gallery dedicated to new media
art. Watermans’ new media programme is led by Klio Krajewska.
Klio Krajewska
Head of New Media Arts Development
Watermans
40 High Street