[spectre] [mir] depth + announcements

Lorenzo Taiuti Lorenzo Taiuti" <md3169@mclink.it
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:44:42 +0200

Messaggio in formato MIME composto da piy parti.

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01C13013.06F95540

Dear Honor
Since you pick up my sayng...
talking about a "quiet" list must not make one think about lack of =
discussion.
It just means a more tense attention on main issues.
This does not take away space from debate, just calls for more strict =
issues.
For a more focused exchange.
By the way when is the meeting going to be ? and where?
Please  make a proposal
Saluti
Lorenzo Taiuti

you wrote:

hi all,

 >I think Adele got a real point: the relatiosnship between quantity and =

quality in a List.
 >Yes i agree with Adele when she speaks about a "quiet" list.
 >Many lists are still too much the containersof an indiscriminated=20
"euphoria" of comunication.
 >That means in term of attention a serious difficulty to follow the few =

interesting issues coming out.
 >Let's make a "Quiet" list.

at the risk of sounding overly libran, i think what's needed is a =
*balance*.
i think the point eric made when he commented he didn't feel comfortable =

posting texts on the syndicate over the past months was telling.  we =
need=20
to have enough space for essays and discussion, while still maintaing =
the=20
essential announcements 'lifeline' which many of us value.

we could - in this early stage, while there are few of us - discipline=20
ourselves, by prefacing an announcements posting to [ spectre ] with =
'the=20
word accouncement'.  at least that way, those people who wish to filter=20
announcements on the client side have the option.

 >>SPECTRE is an open, unmoderated mailing list for media art and =
culture in
 >>wider / deeper Europe.
 >no wider/deeper, just europe

also, regarding this thread about terminology: call it nostalgia, but i=20
really value the term 'deep europe'.  perhaps its because i am an=20
antipodean emigre, but to me the term implies an inclusiveness re. the=20
concept of 'europe', which even someone who is not strictly 'european',=20
like myself, can relate to.  once explained (as in the memorable and=20
eloquent texts which inke and andreas wrote on the 'deep europe' concept =
a=20
while ago), its a very compelling term.  it immediately caught on in=20
australia, for instance (which itself resides in a region beset by=20
divisions, confusion, conflict, and contradiction, and yet has a =
richness=20
and diversity and a desire to share experiences with close=20
neighbours).  when marko peljhan came to visit in 1997, he coined the =
term=20
'deep oceania' while writing from tasmania.  like 'deep europe;, 'deep=20
oceania' is a zone with osmotic borders and no fixed territory.
personally, i think these terms are still relevant.

perhaps, we also need to uncover similairly compelling terms which =
describe=20
and help untangle the new 'divides' which sheer the world we live in.  =
the=20
conflicts in gothenberg and genoa (criminally neglected by the =
syndicate!),=20
represent urgent rifts between those who feel the 'european project' and =

the 'globalisation project' can be left safely in the hands of the=20
decision-makers in politics, and those who feel despertaely =
disenfranchised=20
by these 'projects'.

i think we as cultural workers, artists and thinkers can contribute to =
this=20
debate, by bringing with us past experiences of working in 'deep'=20
situations.  i think the concept of 'depth' in relation this new list, =
and=20
our future ruminations, has got a lot of 'weight' to it ;-)

best

honor

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _
the mir list is a temporary list for the syndicate exodus

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01C13013.06F95540

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG>Dear Honor</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Since you pick up my sayng...</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>talking about a "quiet" list must not make one think about =
lack of=20
discussion.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>It just means a more tense attention on main =
issues.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>This does not take away space from debate, just calls for =
more=20
strict issues.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>For a more focused exchange.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>By the way when is the meeting going to be ? and=20
where?</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Please &nbsp;make a proposal</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Saluti</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Lorenzo Taiuti</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><BR></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>you wrote:</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>hi all,<BR><BR>&nbsp;&gt;I think Adele got a real point: the =
relatiosnship=20
between quantity and <BR>quality in a List.<BR>&nbsp;&gt;Yes i agree =
with Adele=20
when she speaks about a "quiet" list.<BR>&nbsp;&gt;Many lists are still =
too much=20
the containersof an indiscriminated <BR>"euphoria" of=20
comunication.<BR>&nbsp;&gt;That means in term of attention a serious =
difficulty=20
to follow the few <BR>interesting issues coming out.<BR>&nbsp;&gt;Let's =
make a=20
"Quiet" list.<BR><BR>at the risk of sounding overly libran, i think =
what's=20
needed is a *balance*.<BR>i think the point eric made when he commented =
he=20
didn't feel comfortable <BR>posting texts on the syndicate over the past =
months=20
was telling.&nbsp; we need <BR>to have enough space for essays and =
discussion,=20
while still maintaing the <BR>essential announcements 'lifeline' which =
many of=20
us value.<BR><BR>we could - in this early stage, while there are few of =
us -=20
discipline <BR>ourselves, by prefacing an announcements posting to [ =
spectre ]=20
with 'the <BR>word accouncement'.&nbsp; at least that way, those people =
who wish=20
to filter <BR>announcements on the client side have the=20
option.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&gt;&gt;SPECTRE is an open, unmoderated mailing =
list for=20
media art and culture in<BR>&nbsp;&gt;&gt;wider / deeper =
Europe.<BR>&nbsp;&gt;no=20
wider/deeper, just europe<BR><BR>also, regarding this thread about =
terminology:=20
call it nostalgia, but i <BR>really value the term 'deep europe'.&nbsp; =
perhaps=20
its because i am an <BR>antipodean emigre, but to me the term implies an =

inclusiveness re. the <BR>concept of 'europe', which even someone who is =
not=20
strictly 'european', <BR>like myself, can relate to.&nbsp; once =
explained (as in=20
the memorable and <BR>eloquent texts which inke and andreas wrote on the =
'deep=20
europe' concept a <BR>while ago), its a very compelling term.&nbsp; it=20
immediately caught on in <BR>australia, for instance (which itself =
resides in a=20
region beset by <BR>divisions, confusion, conflict, and contradiction, =
and yet=20
has a richness <BR>and diversity and a desire to share experiences with =
close=20
<BR>neighbours).&nbsp; when marko peljhan came to visit in 1997, he =
coined the=20
term <BR>'deep oceania' while writing from tasmania.&nbsp; like 'deep =
europe;,=20
'deep <BR>oceania' is a zone with osmotic borders and no fixed=20
territory.<BR>personally, i think these terms are still=20
relevant.<BR><BR>perhaps, we also need to uncover similairly compelling =
terms=20
which describe <BR>and help untangle the new 'divides' which sheer the =
world we=20
live in.&nbsp; the <BR>conflicts in gothenberg and genoa (criminally =
neglected=20
by the syndicate!), <BR>represent urgent rifts between those who feel =
the=20
'european project' and <BR>the 'globalisation project' can be left =
safely in the=20
hands of the <BR>decision-makers in politics, and those who feel =
despertaely=20
disenfranchised <BR>by these 'projects'.<BR><BR>i think we as cultural =
workers,=20
artists and thinkers can contribute to this <BR>debate, by bringing with =
us past=20
experiences of working in 'deep' <BR>situations.&nbsp; i think the =
concept of=20
'depth' in relation this new list, and <BR>our future ruminations, has =
got a lot=20
of 'weight' to it ;-)<BR><BR>best<BR><BR>honor<BR><BR>_____ _____ _____ =
_____=20
_____ _____ _____ _____ _<BR>the mir list is a temporary list for the =