[spectre] News from Prague Biennale

geert lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Fri May 30 09:56:42 CEST 2003

From: "Flash Art International" <flash_art at tin.it>

News from Prague Biennale

Harry Potter's Absolute Preview in Prague.
Alfonso Cuaron, the extraordinarily talented American director, will take
part in the Prague Biennale.
His most well-known movies are "Y Tu Mama Tambien" (2002) and "Great
Expectations" (1998), inspired by the Charles Dicken's novel, with Robert De
Niro, Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Now Cuaron is working on the third installation of the Harry Potter cycle,
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" which will be released at
Christmas.
Alfonso Cuaron is included in the Prague Biennale's section dedicated to
cinema and curated by Gea Politi. For this project, he has created a short
movie behind the scenes, a different approach to what will be seen at the
Christmas opening.

  Thanks to Atelier 4
  Prague Biennale, now in its advanced phase, needs to thank all the friends
and the contributors who have done their best for its realization. In
addition to the official sponsor Mattoni, king of mineral water in Czech
Republic, our thanks go to all the contributors, near and far, who are all
working for this utopian and crazy initiative (less than 100.000 dollar
budget -- about 65.000 dollars).
  Special thanks go to the american Art Shipping Company, Atelier 4, an
example of perfect organization, professionalism and value in art work
transportation, which is supporting our work with a help and suggestions,
and its patient assistance in such extreme conditions.
  Everyone (artists, galleries, collectors) who needs to transport art works
to and from the USA can contact Jonathan Schwarz and/or his trusty assistant
Alessandra Sella for an estimate or a suggestion about transport. Please
contact them here, if you like.
  Atelier 4, Inc. 177 Water Street, Brooklyn, New York, tel 718.875.5050
  fax 718.852.5723; email: Jonathan at atelier4.com, Alessandra at atelier4.com -
www.atelier4.com

  Thanks to Neither Mr. Bertrams Nor to the Goethe Institut in Prague
  Among all the institutions helping with this Prague Biennale, there has
been one inconvenience: The Goethe Institut Prague and its director Mr.
Christoph Bertrams. They have been totally indifferent to our call for
assistance for all the German artists in the Prague Biennale. Everyone
passionately fond of art and the artists -German or not- (who were invited
to Prague Biennale and won't reach Prague) will thank Mr. Christoph
Bertrams, Bertrams at prag.goethe.org.
  This is surprising for us because we all know the attention and care that
the Goethe Institut uses in preserving contemporary art.

  Spend a beautiful work vacation in Prague!
  Some of you who like and can use drills, who can hang paintings and
photographs on the wall, lift up sculptures, but, above all, someone who can
use VHS and DVD projectors and speak English, who would like to spend an
unforgettable week while working with artists and curators in Prague, please
contact us!
  It is voluntary work and will be an important curatorial experience, a
sort of full immersion stage. Unfortunately, the candidate must provide for
himself: travel, lodging and so on. We could suggest a very cheap residence.
A room with two beds Euro 26, and meals at the National Gallery from 3 euro
each.
  Everyone interested in this exciting and intense experience (and, we have
to say, with no economical problems), please contact me at this address:
giancarlo.politi at tin.it

  Thanks and best wishes,
  Giancarlo Politi