[spectre] Elections in NRW

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Mon May 23 10:49:29 CEST 2005

dear inke,

i don't want to get into regional german politics too much, but as
you suggest, the elections in NRW will have repercussions not only on
a national, but also on a european level, and in that sense they fit
into the current (french) thread on the EU referendum. (nobody is
mentioning the fact that the netherlands will also have a referendum
about the EU constitution - probably because the parliament is not
tied to follow that popular vote in their own decision on
ratification or not.)

what we have seen in Duesseldorf (capital of NRW) and Berlin
yesterday may very well have been the beginning of the end of the
schroeder government; i don't agree that the situation is 'a mess',
because schroeder's move yesterday (grasping the initiative at a low
point, he announced that he would seek new national elections as soon
as it was clear that the SPD/Greens had lost the election in NRW) was
very clever in terms of political tactics - everybody is now talking
about the upcoming elections, and nobody is talking about the
christian democrats who won an important vote yesterday: schroeder's
picture is on the front pages of the newspapers, in the spot where
the winner of the elections, Juergen Ruettgers, should have been ...
(seconding schroeder, the SPD party leader, Franz Muentefering, said
in a classical 'party soldier' manner: 'Social democrats don't go
down on their knees, not even in a situation like this!')

the social democrats have been in power in NRW since 1966 (partly in
coalitions), so you can imagine how deeply they are dug into the
whole political structure - for many people working in culture in NRW
this will also mean some changes in the next months and years. on the
federal level, important new cultural developments associated with
the federal state secretary Christina Weiss, incl. the Federal
Cultural Foundation which funds the Relations programme in eastern
europe, as well as transmediale, have been initiated by the social
democrats, and it may very well be that they will come under the
scrutiny of a (potential) new christian democrat-led federal
government. (plus the fact that the second parliamentary chamber, the
'Bundesrat', is put together by representatives of the different
'Laender'/states, so that with the new christian democrats from NRW,
they will have an even stronger majority in that chamber than before
- which basically allows them to block many decisions of the federal
government.)

something that neither of the political camps in germany has yet
addressed is the degree to which national 'politics' is now the mere
implementation of EU legislation, and they don't seem too have a
strategy for the way in which a form of *european politics* or a
european public sphere might start to emerge - the utter lack of
debate of the constitution on a european, cross-border level, signals
this fact. (we are, i believe, part of this problem in so far as we
do not actively engage in that european dialogue.)

an interesting question would be whether the participation in
Culture2000 projects etc. is changing people's perspective on the EU,
and whether the EU described in the constitution has anything to do
with a shared political vision.

so much for now, on a monday morning on which a wind of change is
blowing through germany,

-a