[spectre] Distant, a new Net Art work by Marc Garrett.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Feb 21 15:38:11 CET 2008

Distant, a new Net Art work by Marc Garrett.

Distant:
http://www.furtherfield.org/mgarrett/distant/

Statement about why I am Making Net Art Once More:

I have been going through some changes regarding what type of personal,
individual artwork that I wish to explore these days. Even though I am
involved in various high-tech projects which are mainly collaborations,
that are related to larger projects. I wish to return to making Net Art,
reconnect to what has always been my favourite form of creativity and
expression.

The reasons that I have decided to do this is, because I feel that it is
time for me to re-explore what Net Art can really be now, as part of my
varied practice. Times have changed, Net Art is dead as far as many
others have been concerned, who originally made useful careers in
writing about it and becoming 'heroic' artists from it. I intend to
rebuild my own practice on an Art that was killed by its own culture.
Those who loved it also decided to kill it even though other Net Artists
around at that time were still making it, less considered in regard to
the repercussions of what it meant to them and culture as a whole. For
me, history is really not enough to define a creative culture as
magnificent and dynamic as Net Art. It may be fine for those who were
represented at that time, but surely there are even moments of doubt, a
lingering spectre that says that it all went wrong. I feel that those
few who were selected to be part of the (ironic) 'Heroic Period', have
limited their own expansion. I know that many who have made Net Art in
the past do not wish to be left behind, lost in the history books, as
ghosts and may find this interesting themselves, as well as a budding
contemporary generation of new Net Artists.

Rather than be part of a past mythology, I wish to be part of current
reality. I am of course very aware of the contemporary technologies that
control the Internet via corporate means, and how the rabid thirst of
those who wish to be technologically determined, by this mannerist
behaviour, are more interested in being led by others who are not
interested in Art, and rather are more interested in being in positions
of power over Media Art culture, via creative industry imposed
protocols. To me, on the whole it says more about spectacle and how
money is dictating people's intentions and causing diversions from
seeing what is of value culturally. As far as I am concerned, it is more
important to make Art.

Perhaps Net Art was destined to die, may be it had to die so that others
could explore their own perceptions, reasons and creative voices without
the pressure of having to conform to dictates that proposed ideas which
in reality meant nothing to many Net Artists out there, other than to
those who instigated such power-related gestures in the first place.

So, even though I am not expecting any great come back of a new Net Art
consciousness from my own future ventures in reclaiming a practice that
I believe was killed before its time, mistakenly. I am asking those who
had decided to moved away from making Net Art (some of course moved on
naturally) to respect my decision in embarking in something that was and
is still an expression that I feel offers the world, contemporary
experiences and ideas, that are still unique which can be given a second
chance by actively and consciously engaging in the now.

For me, because there is no longer the hype about a new Internet and
because it is a time of trouble in respect of economy depressions around
the world, as well as many people only exploring technology for the sake
of it, and because we need to be more ecological in our practices. We
also need to come to terms in re-evaluating why we are doing what we do
now, and how can we reclaim our creative histories and voices in a way
that has more meaning, rather than through processes of mechanistic and
personality driven motives alone. I want to build something that does
not just reflect me being a slave to technology, corporate control and
traditional Art world agendas. The Art will have its own voice on its
own terms

The latest work 'Distant' is not trying to be clever via the technology,
it is Art. An object, a contemporary piece that is well aware that it is
no longer in fashion. Therefore, it is authentic.

marc garrett

Other Related News:
On the 29th of this month, Ruth Catlow and myself are going on an
artists residency at Banff, Canada. Through the whole of the month
during March, we will both be collaborating to make new Net Art
together. It will include open source and it will involve much coding.
As we explore the possibilities of using contemporary resources that can
be used for our Net Art practice, we will set up a portal or blog that
displays our research as it happens. As well as the Art that we both
create.

We are, of course interested to hear from those who are also re-engaging
in the making of Net Art, using free software, free media, open source
materials as well as their own ideas about it. It is an exciting time
for us, what is there to lose but gaining the pleasure of doing what we
really want to do:-)